Baby Arthur Quilt

Hi everyone

Last week I was asked to make a baby quilt for just-born baby Arthur. The quilt was meant to have blues, greens, bright solids and baby prints. Easy enough....

Oh....and matching cushion was required as well. Great challenge!!

I raided my fabric stash for boyish fabric and came up with few leftovers from my previous quilts. Of course, this wasn't enough and quick trip to a local fabric shop was necessary.

As for a pattern for this quilt, I had a 'brick' pattern in my head for ages, but never seemed to had an opportunity to make it.

Well, time for a 'brick' quilt.

I cut all my selected fabric into 5x10in rectangles and my background fabric (I chose white) into 2in strips.

This gave me 12 rows and a top quilt measuring 50x65in.

Final top quilt done....

The appliqued name was cut out from bright orange fabric and fused on by fusible web. I outlined the letters by my sewing machine.

The all over swirly quilting was easy and very quick. I aimed for large but fairly evenly spaced swirls to fill the space quickly. I must admit, I am getting much quicker and more confident with my free-motion quilting. I finished the quilt with matching orange bias binding.

The little matching cushion was such a joy to make. Fairly quickly stitched together and with same style letters it matches the quilt perfectly. It measures 14in square.

I hope both makes will be received with joy and will bring baby Arthur lots of snuggles and cuddles.

Back soon with more makes.

Petra xx